Sunday, January 14, 2007

I had to drive up to New Hampshire to pick up Ryan and his roommate D from college. They both are in the band and had spent the week recording their music. It was a long drive as the town is on the border of Maine. Rianne made the trip with me to keep me company. She was very chatty and she entertained me with the stories of what she has been doing lately. She and Ryan are getting along a better. It seems that they have turned a corner in their relationship. She has to get used to the fact that he is not going to always be available for her. She must find her own friends and make her own joy. When I was her age, I clung too much to my boyfriend (GK who eventually became Ryan's father) and because of it, I look back now and realize that there were many missed opportunities in my life. I should have finished college. I should have attempted living on my own, I should have traveled, I should have made friends outside of work. Back then I had hobbies but my life revolved around GK and work. I didn't pursue any creativity alone. I spent nearly every non-working, non-sleeping moment with him. I should have pursued my interests, but I was very insecure and afraid of making my own way in life.

Anyway, it was a long day in the car. Three+ hour drive each way, a few pit stops and a hour food stop on the way home. D's father drove to our house to pick him up. They live in the southwestern part of the state, nearly to New York. His dad was thankful that I had made the trip up to get the boys.

I still have not done the business paperwork! I had planned on doing it on Friday, but I had to go to the doctor and get my hair done. I hadn't had my hair colored or cut since October! I had some very big gray roots! If I were to let my hair grow out, I would look like Lilly Munster.

Currently I'm working on a scarf for the Red Scarf Project. It's a worthy cause, but I just can't seem to stay motivated on it. I'll finish before the end of next week as I really need to get it in the mail. The other ladies in the spinning group are working on them. I want to get a photo of all our completed scarves before we need to pop them in the mail. I'm also spinning and I'll probably start knitting soon another scarf. This one is tan alpaca and it was requested by Darlene at work. In a rather tipsy moment at a party at her house, she wanted to know why I had never made her a scarf as I had been to her house three times. I promised her I would make her one and she chose the fiber out of some I had here in the stash.

The bunnies are good, except Ruby. I had let her fur grown long to keep her warm. I had planned on trimming it last week but never got to do it. Well, this week I looked at her and she was wet. Then it got worse and she became more wet. Then she started to smell funny. Evidentially, she has fur mites and she has been licking up a storm. Thursday night I had to cut nearly all of her fur off. It was stinky and wet and in spots, a bit yellowed. I had to throw most of it away. I inadvertently nicked her back with the scissors so she also has a cut there. Her back has what looks like severe dandruff that resembles ground up oatmeal. At the advice of
Chris, I have ordered some medication for the mites from a farm supply store in Alabama. I will try it and if it doesn't help, I'll take her to the vet. I need to learn how to care of the buns on my own without running the vet all of the time. That just gets way too expensive. I have some topical ointment from the vet that I had to use when Eloise had an infection. I've been putting it on the scissor cut to help it heal. I always feel just awful when I cut them! She is still perky and eating well though so I'm not too worried. She just looks bad.

Today we are going out to lunch with my father-in-law, LP. He is taking Steve, myself, Ryan and Rianne to a restaurant with a regular Sunday brunch type buffet. It's his Christmas gift for all of us. This is the first chance we have had to go since the holidays. It should be a nice relaxing time, and I don't have to cook or clean up!

Next week I hope to put together an order for Louet. I know my inventory is low and I am out of a few items. I just haven't had the time or means right now to concentrate and order what we need. First, I must get a jump on the paperwork. Tax time is just around the corner.

Nearly time to get Ryan out of bed and force him to take a shower before we go out to lunch. He stinks after living a week in a basement music room with 4 other young men.

1 Comments:

At 10:21 PM , Blogger Elijah said...

So now that you have a wheel are you going to spin your own yarn?

I get that idea that previously you just bought the yarn and then made stuff out of it.

I am a new Alpaca Farmer and will be having my alpacas professionally sheared on April 13th. I have 3 black alpacas and 7 others.

I know what to do with all thew beautiful silky fiber but I have no clue how to do it. So this year it looks like I will be selling all of mine.

I hope to someday be able to learn to spin it into yarn and then make things with the yarn.

But with my wife having a baby at the end of this month, I don't have much time to do all the things I would like.

That wheel looks like a beautiful antique. I hope you are able to use it for spinning some yarn.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home