Sunday, October 22, 2006

My weather report for today is again the same. It's very cold out at this time, only about 35 degrees F. It's supposed to slightly warm up later than around dinner time and cold rain is due in. Summer is gone.

Steve and I drove to Rhinebeck NY yesterday for the Duchess County Sheep and Wool Festival. Normally I go up on Friday and stay the weekend with the girls from the guild. Unfortunately, that was not in the budget this year. Besides the usual cost of lodging, meals and all of my purchases, I would have also lost a day's pay on Friday. There's always next year.


Anyway, this was my fourth visit to the festival and all I can say is OH MY GOD! I have never seen that many people there before. There were THOUSANDS of people. It was nearly impossible to shop. I came home with extra bobbins for my wheel, a couple of batts from Grafton Fibers and a souvenir tee shirt and calendar. That was it! One of the batts is for Rianne. I didn't even buy my usual default purchase of souvenir sock yarn. I had wanted to buy dyes from Little Barn. His prices are great. I had to push my way into the back of his tent, I found the dyes but there was a line of at least 30 people at his register. I don't need them that badly. I'll order online. I then had to push my way back out of the tent. It was so crowded everywhere that I started to get claustrophobic. I get that way at Christmas time if I have to shop at the mall too. We never got anything to eat as the lines at all the food vendors were just as long. Steve was getting cold, tired, hungry and cranky. I was just about the same. We left at 1:00. I didn't even bother to check out the fleece sale. Last year, I was first in line. I couldn't wait to leave the chaos.

I met Gail, Kathy and Jessie only once when we first arrived. I never saw them again. Usually, when we all go, we shop separately but see each other throughout the day and meet up for lunch. There were just too many people. I couldn't have found them if I needed to. Since I never found them again, I was unable to give them my Bingo badge. Sorry folks.

I had to go to Rhinebeck this year because I was a participating square in the Rhinebeck Bloggers Bingo. I met a few other squares, but they did not have me on their cards. I also had to deliver an order to a lady that we all know from PA. I never found her, but Jessie expected to meet up with her and she took the order from me to deliver.

Rhinebeck is the fiber event for this part of the country. I'm disappointed that it was so crowded. I'm sure the vendors did very, very well. I walked by the vendor that sells Socks that Rock yarn around noon (I can't remember her name). Her yarn racks were empty and she too had a line of 20 or so people waiting to check out!

Anyone that is going to Rhinebeck just today, I wish you luck. I don't think you'll find much left to purchase.

I had to place another order with Louet this week for more of the Northern Lights fiber. It's seems to be catching on in popularity. Either that or now the cold weather has people thinking of spinning more. The order should be here next week.

I've been told that I'm going to get called for a second interview for one of the jobs in the department. It's not the one I that I really wanted, but I'll see what happens. It's the lowest paying job but I'm told that starting salary is negotiable. It's also the lowest stress job. That's a plus. The company had some lay-offs last week. Someone in Hartford that I had to talk with daily is now gone. She was a nice lady. I miss her. Steve is safe. No job cuts in his department. And where I'm assigned, they are still growing. Hopefully I'll get one of the jobs. It would be nice to have benefits again.

Today is my day for chores. Steve and I are going to head out to the grocery store and feed store soon. There is absolutely no food in this house. Really. We've had cereal for dinner a couple of nights! I never went shopping last week so we are very low on everything. We must stop at the feed store for more bunny kibble, hay and of course, the homemade dog biscuits they sell for Ms. Bailey. After shopping, I must do the laundry and if it ever warms up a bit outside, wash out the bunny hutches. It never ends.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home